Polaris surprised everyone today by releasing the new General 1000 in what they are calling the “Rec Utility” class. It’s basically the spawn of a RZR / Ranger affair, boasting sport SXS-like power and suspension combined with some actual utility capability, a bed……
Right now you might be asking exactly what we have been. Should I give a s#&! about this? Well, we think you probably should, at least a little bit. Typically we focus on the sport SxS world here, but this thing is close enough to grab our attention.
The new General 1000 brings some interesting things to the table:
- 100 HP. This is real sport class power, and at a bargain price starting at an MSRP of $15,999. This will be the cheapest option if you are looking for a new SxS with triple digit horsepower.
- A brand new interior. This is an area we feel the RZR could use significant improvement. Maybe the General is a look at whats to come for the rest of the lineup
- Excellent cargo capacity. We’re sure this is important to someone out there…
- Real doors on all models.
- Good suspension. While maybe not comparable to the top dogs in the sport segment, it’s 12/13″ of travel are sufficient for many sport oriented riders.
- Standard front swaybar
So what does all this add up to? The answer is a pretty decent sport SxS that’s cheap and you can justify to your wife by telling her it will help you get work done around the house. And yeah, maybe you could actually use it to get some work done on occasion.
This should be a great addition to the SxS industry, filling the gap between sport and utility at a dang good price. One thing we know for sure…..we can’t wait for Polaris to release an anti-Yamaha Wolverine video on youtube like this one.
Let us know what you think in the comments below or on our Facebook Page!